Medical School: Creighton University, Omaha, Nebraska
Residency: Yale University/New Haven Hospital, Connecticut
Board-certified in Radiation Oncology
- Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT)
- Calypso 4D Treatment Localization
- HDR Brachytherapy for Gynecologic and Skin cancers
- Image-Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT)
- Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT)
- LDR Brachytherapy
- Xofigo (Radium-223) Radionuclide Infusion
- Y90 TheraSphere Radioembolization for Liver Tumors
Dr. Mate grew up in the Silverdale area and then served in the US Navy. Following his service, he trained in radiation oncology at Yale University and returned home to the Seattle area.
Dr. Mate practices at the Swedish Cancer Institute at First Hill in downtown Seattle. He is skilled in the operating room, where he specializes in treating gynecologic cancers. He is involved in several of the research protocols at Swedish and in many tumor boards. He played a key role in the development of new technologies such as Calypso for the treatment of prostate cancers. He also is active in our Xofigo program, treating prostate cancer with novel Radionuclides. Most recently, Dr. Mate has worked alongside Dr. Mehta to develop the Y90 program to treat liver tumors.
Dr. Mate enjoys golfing, running, and spending time with his wife, daughter, and newborn granddaughter.